Business Development Director - Now Filled
What the role is, what’s expected of it and what success means
We are looking for an ambitious Business Development Director to join our growing Blueleaf team. You’ll have the perfect combination of commercial drive, a background of ecommerce and enterprise sales experience. This role will be a senior key hire for the agency, we have ambitious plans for growth and see your contribution as an essential contributor along with our marketing, PR and events capability.
An overview of Blueleaf
Blueleaf is an ambitious, award winning digital commerce agency. As retail ecommerce experts we work with some of the UK’s leading brands such as Laura Ashley, Fat Face, Red Bull, Bonmarché and the BBC. We focus on four main areas:
- Digital Commerce Strategy (mainly consultancy, channel strategy, etc)
- Creating Experiences (services design, UX, digital design, etc)
- Delivering Platforms (Demandware, Venda, bespoke builds, etc)
- Continuous Optimisation (CRO, User testing, speed optimisation, etc)
Located over two sites in Chester and London, we’ve built a great business with great people and culture, but we want it to be bigger and better. Our ambition is to double in size over the next 2 years and we need to invest in our senior team to achieve that.
An overview of the role
The Business Development Director is a key position within the agency and the management team. Your role would be to spearhead, refine and excel at delivering the new business function of the agency. You wouldn’t be alone. You’d have the full support of the rest of the senior management team at Blueleaf, as well as our excellent marketing engine that creates our branded events, outbound and inbound marketing. We’ve invested heavily in our marketing engine over the last 2 years with dedicated resource and budgets, which has been instrumental in building our brand and pipeline.
It’s a chance for a hungry, proven new business professional to be part of something ambitious, market leading and determined to punch above its weight. As a member of the senior leadership team you’d hold significant influence over important company decisions especially in terms of new business direction and success.
What you’re accountable for
As with any new business role, the accountability is clear and consists of only three things:
- Hitting or exceeding your new business target
- Ensuring good quality new business and clients enter the agency
- Maintaining a full and vibrant pipeline of work
What’s expected of you
As the Business Development Director you are expected to:
- Live Blueleaf’s Values and actively focus on our Vision, Mission and Purpose
- To put together high level solutions for clients (in collaboration with the agency)
- To drive the new business process for your opportunities including pitching, solutioning, costing, closing, legals and relationship
- To ensure that propositions are appropriately priced and positioned
- To be able to communicate and persuade clearly at Director and C Suite level
- To manage your own pipeline with accuracy and keep systems up to date that show the progression and success of the pipeline
- To collaborate with the rest of the new business team and agency in accordance with our values especially around collaboration
What you should expect of Blueleaf
You should also expect things from the organisation, which are detailed below:
- The full support of both the Managing Director and CEO
- A continually improving marketing function including our own events and thought leadership
- High collaboration from the team to support you on opportunities and pitches
- A fair reward for your efforts. The compensation for this role is negotiable and in general would be a base + commission structure.
What experience you will need
- A proven sales track record or closing significant deals and hitting overall personal targets consistently
- A proven track record of building and maintaining a healthy pipeline
- Strong experience of enterprise level sales in digital
- Strong experience of retail
- Ideally strong experience of ecommerce and the digital commerce ecosystem
- Ideally strong experience of agency operations and service side working
- Ideally strong experience of SaaS based models especially Demandware
Where you sit in the structure
This is senior position in the agency and as such you only report to the managing director and normally the CEO at the same time. You will also be expected to present the current new business situation at board level from time to time.
What does success look like?
It’s important we have a shared vision of what success looks like for this role. It’s outlined below:
- Hitting or exceeding your sales targets
- A good fit within the agency including a smooth process with opportunities
- A full and healthy pipeline
As for the culture, Blueleaf has a very loyal team
We're proud to have been recognised with the very rare "Investors in People - GOLD Standard" and held this since 2011 - We hire, and manage, based on our Values. We provide flexibility, we look at personal benefits (not company benefits), and we hold monthly goal sessions on a one to one, so the individuals focus on improving based on their personal roadmap. Please click here for more information.
Does this sound like you?
If so, please get in touch* with your CV at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Recruitment agencies need not apply